Tuesday, April 22, 2014

TINY HOUSE SUMMER CAMP 2- August 15-16-17 (and maybe the 18th too!)

WE just had TWO slots open for this last minute….
First come, first serve….
email deek- kidcedar at gmail.com if interested….
This workshop is going to be AWESOME!
FOUR- FOUR!!!! Hands-On Builds! 


Thanks to Kevin Fitzpatrick of www.KMFIllustration.com for the artwork!!! 


So we JUST completed our SOLD-OUT Memphis, TN Tiny House Building and Design Workshop (fully Hands-On), and the weekend was so much fun, and the response and reviews were so good, that we kept getting asked "When will the next workshop be??"

We even have a few attendees from the last workshop who want to attend again- surely a good sign that we're doing something right and that these workshops are a heck of a lot of fun.

SO… August 15th, 16th, 17th, and the 18th, we're having another extended weekend hands-on workshop…. this one being FOUR DAYS LONG!!!

Hosted by Derek "Deek' Diedricksen, with Dustin "Dr. Demolition" Diedricksen- who have built, hosted, and designed for HGTV, The History Channel, The DIY Network, The WB, and Beyond.

WHERE: My camp up in Northern Vermont. Its a 10 acre spread, off-grid, and in a pretty darn gorgeous locale…. Right near Orleans, VT. Rated one of THE BEST night skies in the US, there are micro breweries nearby, a few colonial covered bridges, and so much more….

There are trails to hike right from our doorstep, a river to swim in, an off-grid solar log cabin we'll get to tour, cabins of mine you'll tour (and even have the option to stay in), a tree house on the premises, a big ole bonfire pit ready to be used for our nighttime discussions and speakers, a local mom n' pop sawmill we'll tour, and so much more.

The Main Cabin (mostly built with hand tools and recycled materials). You have an option of staying in this cabin, AND it has an added 12' by 20' "classroom" or hang out space, in case we get rain. 

Here's another one of the cabins on the lot- which sleeps two…. You'll get to see this off-grid seasonal cabin (built for under $400 with salvaged materials)- and perhaps even stay in it! (again, first come, first serve)


Additionally, here's a video that ran on Vermont NPR/VPR, and on Make Magazine, put together by Jon Kalish from our workshop in 2012- This will give you a feel for the property- which now has more cabins n' funky features!


Night two will most likely be our "LIT BY LANTERNS" acoustic/folk fest- with a few artists both local, and from quite a ways away. TBA

Workbooks, materials, and a good many tools and supplies will be provided, as will space for camping on site (included). We'll have an included huge pizza party mixer night one as well. We're also thinking of doing an off-grid "horror movie in the woods" night- on a projector… we'll see… so many options!!!

There are also nearby rental cabins (very reasonable), or you'll have to option to stay in one of our many mini-cabins for a small fee- if you choose.

We'll also have a solar cooking demo, and many VERY FUN recycled-material construction projects.

AGAIN, there will be much more announced soon, but for those who have been asking (we had to turn away 38 people at the last workshop), I figured I'd post this early registration.

The 4 day- 30+ hour course is $399- included camping spots are first come, first serve.
There is also a very affordable option to rent tree house, cabin, and log cabin spots….

Space is limited. This workshop WILL SELL OUT. EVERY PAST ONE HAS….

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen

Here's an OLD SCHOOL VIDEO TOUR of another one of the cabins (which is VERY different looking now, with an addition (where we host class if it rains), AND we might soon install several bunks for guests….

36 comments:

  1. I was planning on going to one of the Tumbleweed workshops but then I saw this. I can see that this is going to be hands-on, while the workshop wouldn't be, but could you further clarify the differences between the two?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is three or four days, which a HUGE EMPHASIS on hands-on building and design- about 10 guest speakers/demos, camping, and discussions 'round a bonfire. You'll see about 6 cabins/houses, and build two- live music as well…. its pretty loaded with great instructors and experiences to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I misread your Aug workshop as being sold out, I see now it was the April workshop you were referring to. GOOD.
    I would like to reserve a spot in Aug, but what is your cancellation policy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get full money back up until a month before the workshop, in which case, we give you a full out credit to just hop on another workshop whenever you want- an even/full trade. Any other questions, let me know- thanks!

      Delete
    2. fantastic. Will know if I am working those days or not by mid July...so I am signing up now. YEAH!!..excited !

      Delete
  4. Hey! Will you be having any workshops in the south east again soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None planned as of now, but you never know…. if we do one, we'll post it here…. thanks!

      Delete
    2. 2nd vote for another one in the south

      Delete
    3. Make that a third vote for a Southern workshop,Athens Ga!

      Delete
    4. Hmmmm….. I DO love georgia…. we'll def keep this in mind…. we'd just have to find a willing/affordable site…

      Delete
    5. Another vote for the South here. The Hostel in the Forest in Brunswick GA might be into hosting. They have treehouses aplenty http://www.foresthostel.com/

      A few people in North Fl have land and would probalby love to host.

      Finca Mycol
      http://www.volunteersbase.com/america/usa/finca-mycol-brooker-fl_i378

      Gaia Grove Eco Camp and Learning Center
      https://www.facebook.com/GaiaGroveEcoCamp

      Delete
  5. Are these family friendly? If I pay for the workshop could my wife and four kids camp and hang out on your 10 acres?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, no kids…. 18+ only…. not my choice, its just too risky otherwise…. it'd make for too many extra people around too if others did the same… sorry…. there are campgrounds and really affordable cabins nearby though, if they're looking for a vacation while you attend….

      Delete
  6. I would love to be able to go. I love the creativity and use of materials, but there is no way I could afford that much. But I can cook for bunches of people, I'm really tall 6'8" and big, so I can do heavy lifting I have tools and I'm fairly creative. Will work for ticket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He brian, if still interested, we may be able to work something out even though all the word trade spots are filled. Your height could help with our lack of ladders- lol….

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking of buying myself a birthday gift and attending your workshop. I'm traveling from Oregon. What's the closest airport to fly into or most cost effective?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burlington VT is the closest- still about an hour away, but closer to the workshop we send out a mass email so everyone can try and coordinate ride shares…..

      Delete
  9. hi what time do the event start on Friday the 15th? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. From a historical point of view it would be more exact to say three settlements: Tar, Frata and Vabriga; Frata being the suburb of Tar. sea activities

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you ever have any workshops even remotely close to Texas?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also I'm need of a Dallas Texas area work shop. My birthday is August 15, and I'm graduating college and I was thinking this would be my birthday present, but with airfare from Texas, plus workshop costs and that doesn't include the actual accommodations. It will probably sell out before I can put the money together. If you aren't planning for a Texas workshop, can we do a layaway plan to reserve a spot but not have to pay everything right now? Puhleez? I start my build in August and I have watched thousands of hours of videos on you tube and still have no clue what I'm doing! Lol. Just throwing that out there. It can't hurt to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually won't do this, but seeing as its your b-day then, I guess we can work something out if you're still interested…. Sorry for the delay in reply- I've been away for three weeks

      Delete
  13. Deek, I was in the 2012 workshop (old guy with big white beard). Would love to stop by and say hello...would that be OK with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Keith- yes, shoot me an email at my other account…. 'hope you're well!

      Delete
  14. Hi, I would like to follow your blog via emails, but for the life of me I can't find the place where I can sign up. I've checked up and down and sideways...could you tell me where ? or sign me up? I'm Ines at nsventurini@yahoo.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. We'd like to attend from North Carolina, so will be flying and need to know the schedule. So, what time do things get going on friday? and what time do things wind up on monday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry for delay! We begin on friday at noon, and end on monday by about 4/5 pm…..

      Delete
  16. Hi - can you tell me what's included in the price of the workshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me clarify the question - is any food included besides the pizza?

      Delete
  17. Hi there! This is a shot in the dark but is there any chance of you needing extra help in exchange for attending, or is there a wait list I can be put on? I don't mind paying but I see where the event is closed. I live in Burlington, VT and have been looking for this type of thing for a while, please let me know!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I have a small pick up truck that could be utilized.

      Delete
  18. Do you have workshop dates for 2015?

    ReplyDelete
  19. So we JUST completed our SOLD-OUT Memphis, TN Tiny House Building and Design Workshop (fully Hands-On), and the weekend was so ... simple-houseplans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete